Friday, March 18, 2011

When Was The First Time I Vamped About The Cult of White (Right Wing) Victimhood?

I seem to remember using that phrase years ago, here, and on the message boards, too. Anyway, someone (in a piece over on Politico) has taken that idea and applied it to Mrs. Palin, and quoting some other commentator, concluded that she's Alaska's Al Sharpton.


I'm not going to go long about how fair or not the label is. At the least I get it, that the very same lost-in-their-resentments, revanchist, if not racist, right wing nuts who revile Sharpton are some if not most of those who now embrace the white & right cult of victim hood like a man at sea who can't swim clings to a life preserver.

Ya'll don't have to go any further than my mission statement at the top of the page, to know how I loathe anti intellectualism. I say the worst snobs are trashy snobs, be they ghetto trash, trailer trash, snow billies, goat fuckers, or some combination of the above. There is something seriously wrong with people who waste too much time being resentful of what others have, and what others have going on for them.

If I wanted to be kind, I would say something like, sorry for your feelings of inferiority. But I'm not in a kind mood. So I will instead say, do fucking something with your sad, miserable, waste of a life. That's how one gets real self esteem. Not by envy, spite, and petty meanness.

That's the way I learned it, not only at home, but in the elitist educational institutions where I earned my place, therein, and completed all work necessary to earn my degrees.*

Oh. When the idea for this post stared churning in my mind, I was thinking about using this rather long quote from the article. But that was before I finished reading it, and found a shorter, more elegant quote directly about Mrs. Palin, near the end:

“She seems to me to be extremely defensive and embittered.”

Ya. That's a tidy and truthful nugget.




*(Had to throw that part in. I'm no legacy. I'm no trust fund baby. Now I wish I had a trust fund, but I really don't resent those so lucky. But I would tax estates at no lower the the maximum income tax. Why should people accidentally born into the right family pay less taxes than someone working for a living, to bring home a 6 figure salary? But I digress.)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites