Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Narcissism, Contrarianism, & Infantilism

(Like usual, I am starting off with a half baked thesis, and the thermometer in my oven is on the fritz,) but lately I have been thinking about the oddity of people being/acting/arguing contrary, just for the cheap thrill of it. More I thought about it, the more I got to thinking there's more going on there. Now mark me. I am not with out sin, on this point. I used to be/act contrary just for the cheap thrill (so I thought then) of it. But ya know what? I got off on that crap when I was a child. Some time between 8th and 12 grade, I basically decided that if I am going to waste my time and energy arguing, it should be because I believe what I am saying. Granted, I did debate team for a year. Honed my skills, all that. Point is that by the time I was a young adult, arguing for the thrill of it, not because I had a point of view to advocate, was basically every bit as cast aside, as my childhood toys. People should grow out of that shit.

Now why am I thinking about that shit? Several reasons. And I'll list them: Internet message boards (all forms of net texting,) bloggingheads.tv, a culture increasingly permissive of both Narcissism, and Infantilism, and Lady Gaga. And let's face it. She's the poster child for both those last ones!)

Firstly, let me talk about Internet text. I have admitted to having wasted too many days of my life on line, arguing with GOP blockheads. And I have seen a lot of childish narcissistic shit on the net. Hell, I have gone there on my worst days. But every now on then on boards I encounter either the passive aggressive snots who seem to want to pick a fight the slow way, or otherwise seem to be doing that idiotic "devil's advocate" routine. That's fine if your a teacher in a classroom. But otherwise it's pretty much anti social behaviour. And it's childish. It's childish as it's attention getting behaviour just for the sake of that. I mean, really? If you really agree, then agree. If you disagree, let's throw down. But don't jerk me around. That's disrespectful. Ok?

Next, let's consider bloggingheads. I like it. I don't watch everything, but today I caught most of the latest square off with self described "contrarian" John McWhorter against Glenn Loury. Now Mr. McWhorter seems like an intelligent enough fellow, but come on? That whole self describe as contrarian shit should have been out of his system by the time he was filling in his college applications, twenty five years ago.

Here's a good description of what it means to be a contrarian, "What better to way to put one's individuality on display then by coming up with some brilliantly contrarian argument or other?" Link.*

It's not exactly a stinging indictment. Imagine it being said, dripping with sarcasm. I'm pretty sure the writer intended that, Anyway, McWhorter is not the only self described contrarian over there on Bloggingheads. There's that certain hot mess of a Constitutional Law professor I will not name . . . .

But enough about that. Let's jump to Gaga, as she represents the perfect fusion of narcissism and childishness.

Did ya catch the Grammys (or some of the vid after)? Did you see her carried in in the egg? Did you find it so over the top that you had to wonder what sort of egotistical child would do that?

Ok. I confess. I'm running out of steam here. But I think you know what I mean.

I'll say it this way. When I was a teenager, I was rebelling against a lot, even if I was basically a good kid. I had admiration for any sort of freaky expression of individuality that broke social strictures. And I loved arguing for the sake of arguing. But I grew up.

Seems to me some people never do. But if you are not a millionaire on account of your contrary childishness? You are better off getting your shit together, and nerd out. You likely are far far far far for more a tiresome person than you think.

Whatcha say? Nobody ever said that to you. At least no body you wanted to listen to, like your teachers, and your parents, who were always telling you what to do and what to say. Well guess what? As far as that part goes, they were right!


*Read that whole article, I suggest. When you get deeper in, there is a good discussion of why "conservatives" are out of date, fighting a loosing battle (vs reality at least) and are just wrong minded. And yar. I'm a Systematic Thinker. I might have the thinking style test result somewhere, to prove it.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites