Saturday, October 16, 2021

Just When I Ready to Serve McWhorter and Loury Their, "Your Black Cards Have Been Revoked," Notices. This Shit.

 



And to explain, in one of his books, the late, great Professor Derrick Bell imagined a powerful body called the Celestial Curia that pondered the fate and state of life for black and brown folk.  Using that literary device for my own purposes, if there ever was a body that could revoke black cards, they would be it, and I am a Monsignore of that illustrious power.  Meaning, I get to serve the papers.  It ain't real  but I have an agile and fertile imagination.  

But to explain, I had all but given up on these two negros. Between Loury's knowing better about the reality of white on not white racism in America, but spewing his recycled Booker T.  bullshit?  And McWhorter's knowing language better, and still calling the current Civil Rights movement a "religion,"  and using "Woke Racism," as the title of his new book (doing the white supremacists a solid, and nothing good at all, something really fucking awful to black and brown folk? )  I got fed up with the two of them.  Said simply, the shit they were publishing, viewed broadly in all media, was hurting my pretty brain.  So I put them on mute.

But today I felt like breaking the embargo as one of the segments on their most recent Bloggingheads pods was titled on the idea of authentically black. So I gave it a try.  And I was surprisingly pleased with their output.

Summing up.  Glen admits, by reference to a paper from one his brighter students, taking him to task for what I call his . . . not in any way useful, recycled Booker T. Washington self help ethos, that ya. He is not really addressing the issues of the day for black and brown folk.   And if I heard him right, he is thinking about coming up with better answers, specifically to the question as McWhorter phrased it, how do we dismantle systemic racism?

Since McW.  at least gets that part, he earned a Silver Star from me.  But he said he is thinking that using the word racism might not be the right word to be using. Good for that.  Because I say the word alone is insufficient,  The phrase to go with the idea of the race related problems here in America (and other lands,)  is white on not white racism.

In using and using again, just the word racism, as if it is some kid of . . .  both sides do it, phenomenon, allows the white supremacists, and their adjacent enablers to play the false equivalent game.  And that helps preserve the status quo, and that preserves white supremacy, and all the remaining, related, toxic racist bullshit, as it still exists.  So we must do better at ending that evil and self protecting for the racist Republicans, toxic bullshit racist argument.  

The problem is . . .  how some white people treat most not white people.  Fucking focus people!

Hope the link works.

What, if anything, does it mean to be “authentically black”?



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites