Sunday, July 16, 2006

Let's Get Cynical . . . . Cynical!

Ok, so I am reading this paperback, written by Dan Brown ("Da Vinci Code" fame -- nope I haven't read that one yet) called "Digital Fortress." Now one character, an NSA Supervisor, discovers something downright ALARMING about another character, but (apparently in a basically conscious act of DENIAL) thinks to herself:

"True, [He] was obnoxious and arrogant . . . but he wasn't a traitor."

And then comes the part that made me sit up and take notice:

"And yet, Susan realized, there was nothing to stop him -- nothing but honor and decency."

Oh, and this character was very short of both. But I am mentioning that here not to praise Dan Brown's writing. That phrase about "honor and decency?" Made me think, cynic that I am, that if that is what we as a nation or species are relying on, for collective success and survival, we are FAWKED! Sorry, I know many people are honorable and decent, but many people ain't (or not consistently enough) and all it takes is one shitheaded, selfish, asshole to ruin things.

Who is more powerful?

A football stadium full of honorable people, or one shitheaded, selfish, asshole?

And as my Tax Law Proff would say, "It Depends."

And what it depends on is circumstance, such as, is the asshole in question in a position to ruin only one person's day/week/year/life, or a few, or a dozen, or hundreds, or thousands, or millions and millions?

Scary thought for a Sunday, sorry for being a downer.

That is what is on my mind. Hey it could have been worse. I skipped watching McLauglin Report today, in favor of typing this up. Ok; back to reading for a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites