Saturday, December 03, 2005

I Almost Got Almost Snarky

Yes, I am still trying to follow the Angels of My Better Nature, and abstain from the bitchy, nasty, snarky, ugly Partisan Bickering. Have done a fairly decent job of that (*dislocates shoulder patting self on the back*) However I just nearly gave into the Snarky Impulse.

On this message board I still visit? Yes I am still avoiding the partisan issues, but it still bugs me and tickles my Snark-Bone, when I see people who can't seem to compose two coherent, logical, original lines just spew the most witless bullshit, and seem totally oblivious, that they in fact can not argue themselves out of a tissue-paper bag. The snaky factor kicked-in when I thought to post the following, and try to disguise it as an oblique if not generic "Public Service," message. Anyway, here goes:


A persuasive argument has four key components:

the writer's claim
the writer's use of logical reasoning and evidence in support of the claim
the writer's calculated anticipation of disagreement, involvling the acknowledgment and perhaps accommodation of counterpositions
the writer's refutation of counterpositions
Each of these components is discussed below.

http://brainstorm-services.com/wcu-2002/argument-rational.html

As should be obvious, I did not post it there. The two reasons for witholding, and instead posting here? (1) Avoiding getting snarky, if still not exactly partisan, and (2) it would have not made a bit of difference to the witless one.

Now I am thinking . . . (and if you are a past visitor to this page, you know my bias by now) would not the world be a better place if people did discuss things in such a rational and thoughtful manner?

Instead, too often, we have people who spew, bark, and insult, when pushed to 'splain themeselves, and in the end, say nothing worth listening to (reading) instead, far to much of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites