Monday, November 28, 2005

Tiptoeing Into a Poltical Subject

Nope. I am not going back to my bad old ways, but the thought occurred to me over the past couple days, and I am going to run with it.

Why Republicans/Conservatives look Scary, to the Rest of Us.

Granted this is only my take, and well, take that for what it is worth (likely not very much.)


A) The way ya'll talk about Taxes:

Now slogans like "It's your money . . . keep it," may resonate deeply with you, but when you get to complaining about taxes, you come across as very greedy people to a lot of us. When you link that to reduced spending for social programs, you really come across as greedy. Sorry. I'm just saying. We all have no idea how you all can miss seeing that that is how you appear, but hey . . . that is just the beginning of what we don't get about ya'll.

B) The Religion Thing:

Contrary to what (I will skip some snarky adjective) the Pat Robertsons of the world say, most of us are either now, or at some time in the past, been some form of Christian.

We know what a church looks like.

We do get inside of them, time to time.

Some of us (shock, horror) do actually get inside them for more than weddings, funerals and such other special events. In short, when we want preaching, we know where to find it, and if we want it, we will go with the trained and ordained professional of OUR choice. Not yours. And we particularly do not want to have to deal with any un-ordained, wanna-be street corner preachers. And if you personally believe you have some (you think) higher calling to spread the Gospel, I can tell you plainly. No you don't. If you wanna preach that bad, go to one of the hundreds of bible colleges in America, get your credentials, and go out there and find yourself a real congregation if you can. Otherwise, ZIP IT! And if you really have no clue how obnoxious that preach crap is, pay very close attention to the following.

Imagine you are in bed. You are fast asleep. And all of a sudden 100 car alarms, within 200 yards of your bed, start blaring and honking at the same time.

Yes, street corner (not literally, but amateur) preaching seems that obnoxious to those of us who really do not want to listen to it. And that leads to:

C) The Morality Thing:

You all, as a Group/Political Party are NOT any more inherently moral than the rest of us. Anyone who told you that is a damned liar. If you repeat that, you become a damned liar. Now you all can still BELIEVE that if you want, but hey . . . there ain't a lick of evidence that shows that is even remotely likely. If you don't like hearing it, sorry. Deal. If the Lord Jesus comes on down, from on high, and declares that the GOP is the Right and Moral Party, then I will recant. But when any mere human says it, I treat such a sentiment as a load of hot steaming bullshit.

Furthermore, and related to the previous entry, don't even THINK you have any cause to be a moral teacher to us. If you ain't our priest or rabbi, or pastor, and you ain't our mommas or pappas, ZIP IT! You want to lecture me? You think you have the right to lecture me? Pay off my student loans for me, first. That will give you some leverage, but unless you are supporting me in some way that gives you the some quasi-parental semi-rights, again, I say ZIP IT! And if you don't like that, I suggest you go back to the previous section and reread what I said about going to bible college, and getting your creds and a congregation. Seriously!

D) The "Culture War":

Yes you are entitled to your views about society and culture, HOWEVER . . . and seriously, don't ya'll ever get tired of listening to yourselves? (Guess Not!) But good grief, it is bloody tiresome to have to listen to folk complaining about society's fall into ruin and rudeness and offensiveness, from the block of America responsible for (or otherwise embracing) the following rude people:

Rush, Hannity, Coulter, Savage, the Felons Liddy and North, Colson, and just about any of the FoxNewsies.

I'll stop there with the list and just cut to the chase. When ya'll get rid of all those ugly-acting pundits, cheerleaders, flacks and spokespeople, and get some who instead can follow, without deviation, Leticia Baldrige's Rules for Proper Conduct and Etiquette, your party/movement looks and seems as culturally pure as a Third World battle field hospital looks hygienic. To be specific, not looking that way at all!

E) The Way You Defend Your Leaders:

Granted, I certainly know some Dems who swear by Bill Clinton the way people of past generations swore by FDR. I could be wrong, but I think more if not most of the people on my team do NOT spend all that much time or effort defending the politicians. It is their job to defend us (or at least support us. They work for US. Not vice versa!) But if the mere idea of that does not register, please try to think of it this way. One of our founding fathers (don't recall which) described our infant Nation as,"A nation of LAWS not MEN."

And if that does not do it, here is my last attempt. If you have to defend your pols that much, how great a leader could they possibly be?

This is just my opinion on the matter.

And ok, just in case someone wants to flog me for drifting back into partisan shit, ok whack away. My observations here were intended to be more on the level of "APPEARANCES" than actual positions. Hell, if the GOP/CONS did read what I said here, and followed my recommendations and abandoned the things I described as negative to their appearance, they could actually become the majority party in America for decades to come. However I feel very confident that they will never do that. They will never make the necessary changes to insure that the image of the party (to those not already within the tent) actually more closely matches what they "preach."

Not in my lifetime, I recon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites