Wednesday, November 23, 2005

You're ALWAYS Asking QUESTIONS! Why?

(I'm just a curious guy, by nature!)

Anyway, I don't have a clear theme today. First question in my head today is

What is it about Politics that brings out the WORST in People?

I am not even talking about the pros. They have clear goals, at least their ambition to further their ambitions, increase their personal share of power. I can understand that.

I am talking about the level of passion that people sometimes display, and I am talking about people that when you add it all up, only participate in the political process in the most limited ways:

(a) voting, and
(b) talking shit about it.

And here on the internet there are many many people who talk (type) with the fervor of people who's life seemingly depends on . . . not the eloquence of their expressed opinion, but the PASSION they put into it.

I am not the most religious of people by far, but I would bet that if the conventional understanding of Christian Heaven and such is as is widely believed, that how passionately one argued Politics in life is more likely to count against them, then in their favor.

Let me use the St. Peter at Heaven's Gate Convention.


St. P.: "Next. Step up now, I don't have all Eternity . . . Mrs. Polly Pritchet."

Polly: "Yes that's me!"

St. P.: "Ok .. . checking your jacket here . . . just a sec. Hmm kay? Ok ya here it is. One the Heavenly 10 point scale, 8 points for Devotional Fervor. 7 points for Family Matters (ya never got to really forgiving your mother in law for ruining your wedding day,) and 5 points for Leading A Decent Life. That averages out to 6.6. Hmm you missed the cut off, by only .4. Sorry."

Polly: "Ok ok yes I never really forgave my monster in law . . . opps sorry I mean mother in law. But I know in my heart I should have. But only 5 points for Leading a Decent Life?? Where did I go wrong? I voted the way my Pastor told me to. That can't be wrong . . . could it have been?"

St. P.: "Naw it's not about how or who you voted. Do you really think we care about that nonsense up here? What do you think we are? Idiots? No we are not. That stuff bores the be jeepers outta us! But you get a 5 because of your Wasted Passions."

Polly: "Wasted passions? I don't follow??"

St. P.: "God gave you heart and a soul and the ability to use passion in your life to create something beautiful or inspiring, or poignant. And what did you do with that precious gift of passion? (*checks his notes*) You spent 3,456 hours arguing in favor of tax cuts. You spent 2,874 hours arguing in favor of war (oh and YES that one?? Tisk Tisk! We really don't like that stuff around here.) And you also spent 10,543 hours being just plain nasty about or with people who did not share your beliefs. Did you think any of that would impress us around here?"


Polly: "Um . . . er well . . . my Pastor . . . ."

St. P.: "Did NOT make the cut."

Polly: "So does that mean I have to go to the other place?"

St. P.: "Not Exactly. Turns out the Buddhists have a few things right. We do have Reincarnation, but it is Remedial. You are going back for another spin. This time, you will come back as seventh child of an impoverished family in a Mexico City slum. I can give you a hint at what you need to work on, this time round."

Polly: "And that is??"

St. P.: "Prioritizing. You had a lot of free time to do something to uplift others. Instead you tore them down. I hope you don't make the same mistake again."

Polly: "I am so sorry. Is there anything I can do to avoid that now?"

St. P.: "Nope. But don't worry. You will be back here before you know it. I can't/won't tell you exactly when you are due back but I can remind you that the life expectancy for poor people
in a Mexico City slum is way below that of the average American.

Polly: "Ok I accept my fate. Not like I have any choice in the matter."

St. P.: "True. Up here at the Gate, you have no choice. But back down there . . . you always have choice. Now choose in your next life, Polly. Or should I say Margerita Maria Elana Ignascia Villarobos."


Ok, again that was basically off the top of my head, but I went the literary(ish) route to make the point. I can't imagine that passionately arguing politics is going to help anyone get into heaven (although I have no real reason for believing it will specifically count against anyone. I just went in that direction in the story to make the point!) Now petitioning city hall to put a speed bump, or a traffic sign on a street, that might lead to the saving of lives? Oh ya that should get you a point or two, but if all you ever do is sling mud at the other side? Na. Humans should not even be

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites