Thursday, November 17, 2005

Still Avoiding the Issues of the Day . . .

What and such NOISE.

Let's just for another day stay away from the gutter of contemporary American politics, shall we?

Let me go off on another cognitive tangent. Hmmm . . . . sounds better to my ears (or as this is a text based experience, looks better, seen through my eyes.)

I will recount a personal story, to start. When I was a young child (so family legend says), I did not start speaking in the way most children do. Allegedly, because of my elder sisters' ability to understand my non-verbal communication (and my own innate sense of self and personality), I did not do the usual staccato bursts of words that your typical toddler uses to indicate desires. Apparently I would gesture, use my cherubic face, and my tiny toddler's body to make my meaning. And since it worked so well for me (I can only imagine) I was content to continue communicating that way. Enter my mother's mother. She was concerned that my verbal skills were underdeveloped. However, in the way a good mother knows her brood, my mom insisted that was not the case.

And, as the story goes, during one of my mom's mother's visits, she tried to get me to engage in the usual and expected toddler-talk. But I suprised her. Instead of the usual toddler's monosyllabic bursts, I proceeded to talk to her in complete sentences, and paragraphs!

Granted, some people might wish I had kept my mouth shut, and never started talking (as I have not managed to shut up, since) but my point in recounting this story is, communication styles (if not comprehension styles.) What is the reason that some folk (like me) tend to think and communicate in long form, and why do other people prefer the short form?


Granted, I am just vamping here. I have yet to discover the right search terms to find the pointed and illuminating scholarship that will help me find the answer, but I am fascinated by the question. Is it really mostly a matter of attention span, or is something deeper, like the way someone is 'wired' to process data? Are some people just born with a greater need to always (or more frequently) dig deep, or to say it another way more curious and questioning, or is it something more esoteric, like preferring coke to pepsi?

Just some ideas that I tend to mull over, now and then. And I may pick up the subject again at a later date.

Parting note; just as when a youngin', I still have trouble with toddler talk, or buzzwords, or slogans. Guess I am just wired that way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites