Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Like A Toddler Playing With It's Own Poo

 I don't get the appeal of Joe Rogan. Like the text on the image says.  Some people find him curious, apparently in an admirable way.  Now me?  I see his curiousity like an absent-minded toddler playing with it's own poo.  It's not an "intellectual" kind of curiousity.  It's more about not knowing anything about anything.  Toddlers know nothing about anything.

We know his podcast is popular.  And he is is rich beyond reason, given his thin talent.  And he is younger and more fit than I am.  But.  I just don't get it.  But my curiosity had me reading the NY Times starting in sixth grade.  And as well, digging in on the 18th century philosophers.


I don't say that as a brag.  I am one of those nerds.  I can talk at length about Age of Enlightenment theory, and pivot to reciting, or at least remarking about my favorite Monty Python sketches.

Oh.  The reason for visiting this subject?  There is some untrustworthy article on the Atlantic, written by some transphobic Brit chick, worshipping Rogan and how, allegedly he is remaking Austin because he has a new comedy club there?

I tend to distrust on line reports about trends, unless being reported by known cool kids with a track record of being ahead of the culture curve.  I am not saying there is not some retro resurgence of 70s style misogynistic, unfunny content bubbling up, hither and yon.    I am calling bullshit on the pedestal placing, here.

My long, by now, time remark is.  There is a market for that.  I am not that market.  And just because someone on the interwebnetubes says something is the new shit, doesn't mean it really is the shit.  It likely is just shit.


Rare edit to add:


I have read the whole article.  She never got to interview Rogan.  He don't do that.  She was less worshipful than I thought, based on the chunks I saw this morning. But ya know . . . 

Admitting my bias.  Some thing she did not do.  I have issues with normalizing conspiracy theories, and or the loons who spew that kind of shit.  But to be a little fair.  She did highlight that the Rogan bros are more likely to trust individuals than institutions.  Sure. We should not put total faith in institutions.  But we should put no faith at all in what inexperienced, un credentialed bros have to say.  Fuck that.

And speaking of bros.  I really dislike people as a baseline.  But I really dislike "bros." 

I will end there, but to say.  It's not that human stupidity is greater planet-wide now, than in the past.  But some idiot bros or babes can get fame and fortune, on line.  Without having any appreciable draw.  But for others thinking:

They think like I do.  They are like me.  Let me give that person my time, and money, and support.

What a fucked up species!


A large chunk of it, seems.


 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites