Sunday, March 15, 2009

Let Us Mock Glenn Beck. It is Right and Proper to do so.

As a socio-political data junkie, I have been familiar with Beck for years. Some folk might not be so aware of him. How do I describe him in brief, with out resorting -- I mean relying too much on harshly critical (no matter how true) descriptors? I will not worry that much about that, I have just decided. Glenn Beck is an ex-multi intoxicant addict, right wing radio and FOX News TV host, who either is genuinely histrionically-crazy, or is doing an amateurish, but borderline workman's job of acting the part of a far right, right winger Proto-Fascist, American Taliban, Chicken Little/Boy who cried wolf, truly half-crazed nutter who is so spastic that he should not be trusted to hold a plastic spoon. And I mean even the good kind of plastic spoon, that has the beefed up edge, as opposed to the cheaper crappy ones with a sharp, unfinished edge.

Wait. I actually watched some of his clips from his special "You Are Not Alone," act, from Friday, and I have to confess, that I remembered the specifics of his performance and that is why I describe it here as,"Amateurish, but borderline workman's job." He is not really all that convincing in his histrionics (need I specify, to people who can tell the difference between a hawk and a handsaw), although he has mastered the art of really bad, really saccharine, insincere emotional manipulation. And to be specific I mean at the level of a jack leg preacher who is trying way to hard to impress the audience. Ya. that is the way to describe the act. But I should say that some people go for that crap. Then again, some people think pro wrestling is a genuine competitive sport.

Nevertheless, I am going to try this from another angle. Instead of going long, myself, in mocking Beck, I am going to post the video of one of his fellow Fox News talking heads.

I never thought I would be saying this (with out being snarky about it) but I am beginning to respect Shep Smith. At least he is willing to point out the abject silliness of Glenn Beck's act. In any case, watch and see for yourself. Now it might not be the most entertaining thing you have seen this year so far, but the part where Chris Wallace tries to scold Shep Smith for mocking Beck, and Smith is totally unapologetic? Priceless!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites