Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Most Important Part of the Article on The Subway Strangler

 "Daniel Penny is no sheepdog. He is not a hero, and he deserves no further medals. He’s in the news because he brutalized another human being to death. If that’s what passes for valor, nobody is safe."

daniel-penny-and-the-sheepdog-defense

Admittedly, I found the article on the O.W.L.'s blog.  To her credit she calls the animal analogy "awfully facile."  

But that observation leads me to the macro level.  All the defenses of the  . . .  as I call him, Subway Strangler are facile:

(especially of a theory or argument) appearing neat and comprehensive only by ignoring the true complexities of an issue; superficial.

You don't need some bullshit animal reference to be superficial.  It just came to me.  Those of us of a certain age should remember the infamous bear in the woods ad that Reagan used.  Yeah.  Some people just love facile, uncomplicated thinking. I believe the word for them is conservatives.  Now I know the word facile applies to more people than politically conservative folk.  But they are well known for Manichean thinking.

I remember this Republican guy who I saw post on a message board, his justification for employing stereotypes:

"Saves time."

It's all related.  Black and white thinking.  Stereotypes.  And white supremacy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites