Saturday, March 05, 2022

So I Googled: "Heather MacDonald is White Trash,"

 As not a day goes by with out me thinking about white supremacists.  And she is well known at least in Faux Academic Republican white supremacist circles as the (dare I say it?)  Great White Hope  (or more accurately, hype.)  Her area of  (throws up a little in my mouth to say) 'expertise' is how black people are inferior to white people.  That is how I read her.  But she cranks and cranks on how there is a war on cops, and systemic racism is according to her a myth, and how BLM  and just about any pro Black social thing the majority of Blacks like is wrong. Ya know.  Shit like that.

Glenn Loury keeps hosting her and her white supremacist bullshit on his channels.  If I had the chance to interrogate him I would like to ask him:  "Professor.  If a student in one of your classes  turned in a paper where the majority of citations were either themselves weak scholarship, or being taken out of context, if not both?  Would you not flunk them?"

Anyway.  On to the return from my google query.  I ended up narrowing my search to news, as I wanted something recent, and found the following re the current season's production of  Zeffirelli's Turandot  by The Met Opera.  Which I saw this season, actually.  

Heather Disrespects Asians Too.

So I get to remark about this, sort of recent incident of Heather's letting her white supremacist freak flag fly, having attended the production in question.  Firstly, her white supremacist grounded statement:

"No sane person would think that Asians are threatened by its portrayal of the ministers or by any of the other characters."

Before I go into Priest of Theatre mode, let me say that is such a weak argument that any decent editor would say to her, after her submitting this shit (never mind the white supremacist bullshit,)  to either fuck off, or delete that bullshit.  Using what is routinely called the "No true Scotsman" fallacy as proof of one's argument is something good writers avoid, and better editors catch and 'edit.' That is according to rules we all were taught in high school,  never mind college.  Never mind law school  (and she is an embarrassment to the profession, according to me at least.) 

Anyway . . .

First things first.  I have my BA  in Theatre. Never worked at the Met.  Worked next door  for several gigs for City Opera.  I am the kind of person who goes to the opera.  That was my first "Turandot."  

Puccini's music is thrilling.  That opera has one of the most famous and performed arias for a Tenor;  "Nessun Dorma."   It is a virtuoso song, and the Tenor so nailed it  that tears are coming to my eyes  just remembering it.  It is hard to describe the feeling that is unique to a packed Met Opera crowd enthralled in a moment like that.  But the production as a production?

The story itself is more than a little fucked up.  My way of saying it, is that a good dramatic opera has to have some number of the following:  sex, lies, betrayal, evil, murder, if not rape.  But the title character is so blood thirsty that I can understand some Asians being uncomfortable with that part alone, never mind Ping, Pang, and Pong.  If you know about the now considered toxic portrayal of an Asian by Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's," imagine three of them?

So no Heather.  Sane rational people who are not actually white supremacists have every reason to cringe at that shit. Never mind Asians.  Aren't we living in a time of increased hate crimes against Asians?  Her lack of sensitivity to anything other than her own POV, and what offends her and people who look and feel as she does?  There is a name for that.  White supremacy.

I try to not use the B word against individual women, but I am so tired of this bitch.  And all the other  white supremacist Karens out there.

Meta point here.  How to deal with the racist representations in great works of performing art is something ballet and opera companies are dealing with, now. Doing the evil sort of shit that Mac Donald does, in her  . . .  for lack of a better way of saying it . . .  shitty digital fart?  Really isn't the civilized way to go.  

Re "Turandot?"  Some companies are editing out the clownish parts  (I am not doing a full net search on how many companies, and how fully.)  But re ballet? I did see NYCB's  Nutcracker  just before Omicron stopped performances.  They have reformed the ethnic dances in Act II.  Way to go guys!  You don't have to rewrite the whole show, by the way.  But we Met fans know.  The Met Opera is phasing out the Zeffirelli productions.  Yes, the sets and costumes are visually spectacular.  But times do change, and so does tastes, and audiences.  





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites