Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens Has Passed.


Let me get my thoughts out, here. Sometimes annoying. Often fearless. Capable of brilliance, actually getting there, more than once. Could be a little out of control. Has a lot of marks in his permanent record. Always interesting, and I have to say, one of the few generalist intellectuals of the age. RIP Christopher.
Go Here.

I'll go a little further here.  I totally disagreed with him on the Iraq War.  But I almost totally agree with him on the god/religion stuff.  I call myself an extreme agnostic instead of atheist  (or as he called himself, antitheist,) mainly  as I don't want to be doctrinaire about it.  Even if I have not read the books, I have seen many clips of his debates about atheism.  He was a lion!  And he could be mean.  But it was great entertainment if you got to watch it.  I distinctly remember one appearance with Andrew Sullivan.  I don't remember the put down, but it put every TV and movie put down to shame.  Ya.  Not the best thing to remember him for.  But it was a talent.  

Most people only manage the first part of the label, sarcastic wit.  He was a true wit.  Them be rare creatures.  I am confident in saying he will be missed.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites