Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Now Know What I Missed, Yesterday. The Wimpy Factor.

Here's what went past me, yesterday, with the phony NPR video (I won't call it a sting. Firstly, it was a scam, and a potential crime -- they tried to pass a phony $5 Million check. And no, they did not actually catch anyone doing anything wrong, actually.)

The reaction by the board of NPR seemed odd to me because I did not know about the board. They are weak, when it comes to political shit flinging! As I learned watching the PBS News Hour, and heard it from the NYT Media Reporter, the board is composed of directors of local stations. No. It's not some arch liberal, ex radicals from the 1960s and '70s. And no, it's not a bunch of die hard Democratic Party operatives. The board is composed of serious content providers who are mild mannered and do not see themselves as ideological soldiers in some grand culture war. So when they found themselves under (and I MUST say, PATHETICALLY) weak attack from some ideological soldiers of the right wing, they folded like a house of cards.

Go here for some analysis from the fine folk at Crooks and Liars.

Now I could use a good gig, and I think I would be a stronger leader for NPR. But honesty? Compare any number of random posts from me on this blog to what the fundraiser said, and I am more of a flaming hard ass on the tea baggers and right wing racists then he was. So I don't think the mild mannered board of NPR would want me. I would actually be the perfect ideological soldier. At least I resemble that, far more then the ex CEO. And to their (I grudgingly say, ya) credit, the board of NPR does not see their mission as being political. Honestly, if this non story was spun in a way that was more objective than partisan, one should say NPR proved it's commitment to trying as hard as possible to be a neutral political party here.

Just try convincing the fuck wads on the right wing of that. Ya. Good luck with that.


And just a tease. Among the list of jobs I would want and be smashing at, along with being a TV News Division Ombudsman, there is a hybrid Media/Political job I want. I want to be point man for the DNC on areas where Media and political message intersect. Possible job titles? "Director of New Media Analysis." That one is good and vague, but sorta hints at the mission. Another one: "Media Economist." That is perfectly vague.

Never mind the title. The idea is the right wing has a tightly organized (enough to function well) media manipulation machine. Fox News is the hub, and there are many spokes. I don't think the Dems need to replicate that propaganda machine. I say plainly. I do not want us to replicate that. But we need to be able to fight it aggressively. Asymmetrically, as well.

Speaking of lies the right wing spew? The one about P. Obama bringing Chicago style politics to the WH? Truth is I am sorry to say he did not. If I ever did get the kind of media/politics gig I described, however? I'd happily bring some old school Hudson County kick ass to bear on the opposition. Metaphorically speaking of course.

(Oh. And I was a Philly Lawyer for a while. I got me some cans of that in my arsenal too. Again -- metaphors, kids. Just metaphors.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites