Monday, October 03, 2005

Harriet Who??

Ok. Bush's selection for the SCOTUS vacancy has me in mind of when Souter was nominated. Souter was a virtural unknown at the time, recently pulled up from the NH Supreme Court to the 1st Ciruit.

I remember the jokes well (even if they were not that funny) as I was working in my law school's law library that summer, and first I heard of the nomination was via a phone call I got from the local paper. Soon after that, the jokes came. He's from where? NOOO he's from Weare.

Anyway, Harriet seems to be an interesting choice, insofar as if she hasn't been a judge, there is no papertrail to worry about. At least, no written opinions on any of the issues of the day.

I have already read/heard cons pissing in their own cornflakes about this "super stealthy" nomination.

Even so, I have to say that it smacks of that rare sign of intellignce at the WH; a decision that was made for the sake of expidiency, minimizing friction with the opposition, and making the least waves as possible, instead of pleasing the base.

It is almost cunning.

Almost . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites