Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Worthy and Admirable Woman. Introducing Peg.

Nope. I still have not found the "Holy Grail" answer to my perplexing and sticky question:

"Where is the Bright Line Between Passionate Belief, and Plain Old Fashioned Bigotry?"

But I have found an interesting thing on the ivillage site (imagine that) about dealing with bigots, penned by the seemingly bright and fully decent Peggy Post, who writes a column for Good Housekeeping.

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/etiquette/peggy/spc/0,,405246_540866,00.html


Skipping the copy paste, I will explain that the title of the Article is "Dealing with a Bigot."

The set up, describes a social situation where the known bigot blabs some of his bigoted bile, and that is followed by some readers choices for a response to Mr Bigot.

Myself? I chose "Explain that his views are not the same as yours. You'd appreciate it if he kept his opinions to himself," over the other options, which were avoid (the bastard) or nod (and not confront the bastard.)

I was pleased to see Peg and I agreed on setting the bastard straight.

Maybe I should get a subscription to Good Housekeeping?

More to follow, I imagine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites