Thursday, July 14, 2005

I am Not Going To Talk About Karl Rove

I actually had in mind a rather longer bit on "Integrity" and then thought about the topic of "Demagogery," but I am choosing, instead, the wit and wisdom of a "Great American," instead.

H.L. Mencken.

"Conscience is that wee inner voice that says somebody might be looking."

"All the leaders of groups tend to be frauds. If they were not, it would be impossible for them to retain the allegiance of their dupes... "

"The fact that I have no remedy for all the sorrows of the world is no reason for my accepting yours. It simply supports the strong probability that yours is a fake."

"The worst government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression."


I can only wonder, how Mencken would describe the times of the Bush Years. I am sure his comments would be more insightful and more interesting and valuable, than that of our current crew of commentators. I have to respect someone who seems to know the difference between a sincere man, and a sincere fool. He seems to have had no trouble spotting the fools, and pointing out that fact, without the slightest bit of fear.

Now we may not need him, per se, but I think we need more people like him, in the press corps. However there are still signs of intelligent life in the WH Press Corps. Yes, I mean Monday's Daily Briefing, where for the first time in recent memory, the Corps seemed to "Act In Concert," and pressed on Scotty Boy so hard that he resembled a cartoon character that was hit by a steamroller.

I almost feel Sorry for Scotty Boy. His predecessor, Ari, was a veritible Dreadnought, a rock which all waves broke against, harmlessly.

Scotty Boy's elevation to that position, considering his predeliction to fumble, stumble and flop sweat, does prove (well, sort of, to me at the least) the contempt the Bush Administration has for not only the truth, but the intelligence of the American People.

I think they think that not only will we buy any and all bullshit, but we will even buy it from a guy who is obviously an inadequate bullshit artist. Hell, the boy has had the job for 3 years, and still seems to be an ungifted apprentice.

Anyway . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites