Tuesday, March 08, 2022

I Can Sort of Understand Why a Child Doesn't Get it

 That there never has been a golden age of viewpoint diversity on college campuses.  But that is the truth.

I just zipped through some tiresome guest Ed. at The Times from some student singing that tired old song about cancel culture.

Excuse me?  I went to a liberal state U.  in the early 80s, and a liberal law school in the late 80s.  We would routinely shred conservatives for breakfast, and again later in the day, for a mid afternoon snack. Good times.  Good memories.

The idea this is something entirely new is delusional.  Sure.  The interwebnetubes means your social standing could be in tatters at the speed of light.  But there is nothing new about losing your rep.

 I am of the punk generation.  We had as an anthem, Joan Jett growling about not giving a damn about her bad reputation.  We had Chrissie Hynde singing, not me baby I'm too precious, so fuck off.


That is a good place to end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites