Monday, January 23, 2012

Yesterday I went to see "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close."  I found it compelling, complex, and emotionally stirring  (and actually draining but not in a bad way.)  Somewhere in the 2nd reel  I was thinking, I might have a hard time calling this good.  But that's because it's more like an emotional journey than mere story telling.  But by the end I was willing to say, yes, it is a good film.  I had a catharsis.  Not major, but still. It hit me where I was willing to be hit, and in the right way.  This is the first 9/11 related movie I have seen.  I made a good choice waiting for this one.  It's not so much about  that awful day, but instead, the days after.  And it is not about an event.  It is about people who went through an event, and how that impacted their lives.

I saw it at the multiplex across the street (sort of) from the Julliard School.  Now everyone will not get to see this in a NYC theatre, with a NYC crowd, but it was how I got to see it.  Honestly, there were a few scenes where the audience was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.  Ya.  Seriously.  I'll end there.  I could go on  but I will merely predict another AA nom. for Sandra Bullock, and for Max von Sydow.  And the young actor who plays that boy?  Brilliant! 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites