Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Slight Bright Spot in My Hate-Hate Relationship With Current Pop Culture.

Young Willow Smith's new vid:

Whip My Hair.

(Courtesy of The Black Snob.)

Anyway, the vid kicks. The song, not so much.

I'm not really too much of a real Hip Hop fan. Too derivative. Too boring. (Not to mention I started playing drums and percussion in 4th grade. I despise beat samplers. There. I said it.)

But beyond that genre, so much of pop just bores me. Reality TV bores me. I am proud to say I have never watched a whole episode or either Jersey Shore, or any of the Housewife franchise. I don't want to see see Bristol Palin win DWTS. But it's not like I watch it, so who care, really? Not me. I wanna see dance, I get myself at least a cheap or discount ticket to see the NY City Ballet. $18.00 gets you a view of one of the world ranked companies, and a live orchestra. Can you beat that deal? I mean really!

My tastes run from being (as I claim) one of the then kids who helped invent Slam Dance to being a patron (in the loosest sense of the world) of the MET Opera Company. I am going to see Don Carlo in about a month. Good times. Lots of good arias.

I am not stuck in some one or couple genre grooves. But I do not like shit. There is way too much shit. And that is why I am willing to highlight this vid by the young Smith. Sure, there is absolutely nothing culturally relevant going on here. But its good simple silly fun.

What happened to that? When did that become a rare commodity? Really?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites