Saturday, November 29, 2008

Now I Had Meant to Go Off on a Tear About the Republicans Again.

And even if I have made several false starts, today, I did intend at one point to work on that idiotic "Culture War," nonsense, that so many republicans get their granny panties in a twist over.

"Um . . . dad. The repo guy is here, and he's towing the pick-up."

"Never mind that! Them frikkin ho-mo sx'ls wanna get married! To each other! It's OUTRAGEOUS!"



But trust me, I understand both the sociological meaning of the word culture, and the Arts meaning of it.

Instead of going too long (as in beyond merely mentioning) about silly shit like the war on Christmas, or how some ninnies think gay marriage is going to ruin the republic, or why Sarah Palin is Redneck Royalty, let me instead talk about the High Art side of Culture.

I am going to the Opera in 1o days. I am going to get to hear one of the reigning Royal Duchesses of the World of Opera: Renee Fleming.




















Now this is what Royalty should look like. Not only can she properly enunciate in several languages, but her voice is described as:

"combining a densely luxuriant texture with an illusion of weightlessness. The sound floats with stunning ease and maintains a beguiling softness throughout a three-octave range."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/fleming.html

Now that is a woman I can admire. And that is my idea of culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites