Sunday, December 07, 2008

What's the Difference Between Belief in "American Exceptionalism," and Republican Racism?

It's a rhetorical question. Both are features of the same hate mongering, bigoted, selfish and mean spirited self and group view that a certain segment of American Society is more likely to embrace. Or, to elaborate, we are talking about the segment that is not yet embarrassed enough about either to stop themselves in early or mid thought and remind themselves,"That is what Bad People think. I do not want to be a Bad Person. So I am telling myself thinking that way is wrong. Don't do it."

And yes, after the thought came to mind, I googled just to confirm that I was not at all being inventive in making this connection:

Attitudes toward inequality: Racism and other varieties of American exceptionalism.

It is not as if I am paying to read the whole paper. But I will say that the dysfunctional delusional idea of "American Exceptionalism" has been on my mind for a few days. This has been the case since reading some republican's shopping list of right wing 'values and principles,' and finding that crazy shit on his list. But in watching some talking heads talk about PE Obama's "Pragmatism" today, I was struck by the fact that our Foreign Policy will soon be going in the exact opposite direction that it was during the Bush years; the delusionalism of the myth of American Exceptionalism.

Just to make sure the point is well made, I am for one very excited to have our country abandon a delusion-based Foreign Policy, and pursue a pragmatic course, instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites