Sunday, August 27, 2006

R.I.P. Brother Maynard

No, not the character from that Monty Python movie. I mean Maynard Ferguson. Legendary Jazz Trumpeter.


Now I am not going to embark on some explanation for those of you who do not know big-band style jazz. However, if you are a real jazz fan, you know Maynard's FREAKING HUGE sound.

I swear, sometimes when he'd blow his horn loud and true, with the over and undertones he would produce, he resembled a one man trumpet section.

And don't get me started on his range with the high notes. double high C. Even, triple high C?

I did see the man live several times back in the day. I never saw him shatter glass, but he did make the filling in my teeth jingle.

Ok Maynard. RIP might not be the best way to say it.

Instead I will say that either Angel Gabriel now has some competition, or said otherwise, Gabriel can go on hiatus; a mighty horn blower has now joined the ranks, and man o man can this cat blow a horn!


Hmmm, looks like I am not the only one making Gabriel references:


Ferguson's four daughters, Kim, Lisa, Corby and Wilder, and other family members were at his side when he died, he said."Someone just said, `Gabriel, move over to second trumpet,'" Schankman said from his St. Louis office. "He was the last of the greats. That era is closed. There is no Kenton, no Basie, no Ellington, and now, no Ferguson."




Maynard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites