Friday, July 10, 2009

My Favorite Republican of the Week?

Peggy Noonan, for her not so much scathing, but pointed and accurate description of Caribou Barbie.

My favorite snippet:


In television interviews she was out of her depth in a shallow pool. She was limited in her ability to explain and defend her positions, and sometimes in knowing them. She couldn't say what she read because she didn't read anything. She was utterly unconcerned by all this and seemed in fact rather proud of it: It was evidence of her authenticity. She experienced criticism as both partisan and cruel because she could see no truth in any of it. She wasn't thoughtful enough to know she wasn't thoughtful enough. Her presentation up to the end has been scattered, illogical, manipulative and self-referential to the point of self-reverence. "I'm not wired that way," "I'm not a quitter," "I'm standing up for our values." I'm, I'm, I'm.

In another age it might not have been terrible, but here and now it was actually rather horrifying.

Go here for the rest.

As much as I harp on Mrs. Palin for everything under the sun and in her life, in the end, it is her fringe religion and insane beliefs that make me reject her in toto. Religious Fundamentalism of any brand or bent is about as unamerican and dangerous a thing to not only the nation, but the world at large, as I can imagine. That is because any crime, any indignity, any excess is possible, as long as the person contemplating it believes, mistakenly I must say, that they are Divinely Right, or Chosen or what-the-fuck-insanely-inspired ever.

Kudos to Peggy for being so articulate. I am more prone to be blunt; Palin is an unamerican, theocratic, insane bitch who is too fucking clueless-stupid to be trusted with a knife made from a paper plate, leave alone have any power over any one else's life.

Am I scared of Palin (and peeps like her?) Ya. Well. Not so much said that way. But I am scared of people like her getting their hands on the levers of powers. In my mind I envision that as like that scene in the last of the original trilogy of Planet of the Apes movies, when the ignorant chimps set off the nuke.

Ya. That is how I feel. Truly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites