Sunday, January 25, 2009

So I Just The Other Day, Yesterday, Finished a Book With a Heavy Religious Bent . . .

The Secret Scroll.

Nope, it really was not the sort of seriously blasphemous sort of thing. The parts involving Jesus were sort of the "Gospel of Thomas," sort of stuff; heavy on the humanity of Jesus, and leaving the divinity thing . . . hanging. Whether or not Jesus was risen was not crucial to the plot.

But I am mentioning it mostly on account that the book touched on the great debate; whether or not we should think of salvation and/or other religiously drenched ideas as metaphor, or literalism?

I am not a literalist. I get metaphor. I don't need to really even see Jesus as a miracle worker, for him to be a powerful figure in human cultural history.

Just saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites