Saturday, April 14, 2007

Well Done, Matt & Trey, and your show reminds me . . .

why I gave up debating politics, particularly Race Politics on the Internet.

Of course, I am now wondering why THE HELL it takes two rude crazy white boys to convince other non-nonwhites that they "JUST DON'T GET IT," when it comes to race and racist trash talking?

Nope, I should not wonder, that is a no brainer. 'Cause the kind of person who has no idea "they don't get it," what it means to be other than themself, will still labor under the distorted misconception that everyone else either (a) thinks 'zactly like they do, or (b) should.

Now I need to do some 'splaining myself. I am obviously referring to something having to do with race, but for those you who did not get the Matt and Trey reference, I was talking about the creators and producers of "South Park."

Now earlier today I found a link to a pirated copy of a fairly recent South Park episode (title of it was something like . . . apology to Jesse Jackson,) and the issues of racial insensitivity and racist talk, and "not getting it," were the themes of that episode. I will try to be brief and mention the most important part; Stan seemed to be fumbling and fumbling in dealing with Token (the token black kid in the show) over his inability to make things right between him and Token, after Stan's dad utters the N word on nationwide tv. Stan does not seem to get it, that every further thing he says just pisses off Token more, and more. The more Stan says the depper in the shit he gets.

But Stan is a smart kid (well cartoon kid.) He finally "Gets it." He finally gets it that "He doesn't get it," about how the N word makes African Americans feel cause He has NO CLUE what it means to be African American and to have to deal with that shit.

Oh it was brilliant (lots of other brilliant things in this episode but damn Skippy, that part was the best, to my eyes.)

Oh, and back to what I said about me giving up fighting with people on the internet particularly about Race Matters? I have done that many times . . . granted I used the expression,"You just DON'T get it," for more than the topic of Race, but I really really meant it, when I was dealing with racial topics. OH! OH! And if Juney-June ever sees this, I have to say June, I meant it as a statement of fact, not as an insult when I said to you,"You just don't get it."

Just as much as I never will get it, how it feels to have menstural cramps, leave alone carry a baby to term and give birth to it, you ain't really ever gonna get how it feels to be Black in America. And YES. America can still be a hostile place for a middle aged middle class white chick, sometimes. It is STILL more (Way More) hostile for black chicks or dudes. You just don't get it! And ya don't have to be called a Nappy Headed ho (or have your daughter, sister, wife, neighbor) for the hostility to be very real!


But ya know you might some day. Way I hear it, Imus was shown the light, Goory Gee! After his meeting with the Lady Scarlet Knights, he was officially forgiven by the team.

I guess they managed to convince him that he did not get it; and he at least now gets it, that he did not get it.

I will stop there for now. Try to see that South Park if you haven't yet.

It is on the web somewhere . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites