Saturday, February 25, 2006

Just Quotes

I have been quiet here, as I have been engaged in more financially-productive time spent on a computer, working for the hourly wage, instead of just sitting here, with my home PC on line and connected to the internet, periodically grumbling about how most everything about it, the internet, is phony.

Speaking of phony, here is a quote I found somewhere (by another net author.)

"Maturity requires giving up the use of self-delusion in favor of seeking the truth. Substituting fraudulent mechanisms for real satisfaction will always leave one wanting, feeling hollow. Like suckers."

http://www.strike-the-root.com/51/davis/davis11.html

Now that particular rant was about politics (voting) but I think his conclusion (the quoted bit) has global applicability.

Let's see if I can dig up some more quotes in a similar vein.


"The human capacity for self-delusion is boundless, and the effects of belief are overpowering."

-Michael Shermer


"I suppose I have a highly developed capacity for self-delusion, so it's no problem for me to believe that I'm somebody else."

-Daniel Day-Lewis


"I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm."

-Marcus Aurelius



"There is no self-delusion more fatal than that which makes the conscience dreamy with the anodyne of lofty sentiments, while the life is groveling and sensual."

- James Russell Lowell



No follow up commentary, for now.

Oh except the following; "Groveling and Sensual?"

Well it seems I have been groveling for a return to the sensual for quite some time now. That should be clear to anyone who has been checking this blog for the past few months!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites