Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Couple Two/Three Quickie Quotes

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." -- William Faulkner



"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." -- Kurt Vonnegut



"The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the second disasterous." -- Margot Fonteyn


* * * * * * * * * *

Hmmm. Now in theory, I have been working on the first one, already. And as far as the second one goes, I am not much of a pretender. I am the odd-ball I have always been (with variation.) Granted, the matter of whether who I really am is a good thing to be, is an entirely different matter, but I am not big on facades.

But that third one? Oh, yes. That is the one I need to work on. I do tend to take myself way too seriously, way too often; even if I like to employ self-depreciating jokes very often, I do tend to take my wants and needs (perceived needs) way too seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites