Thursday, January 19, 2006

Balance Theory, Dissonance Theory, and Transactional Analysis

Hey, it looks like I am getting back to my usual pseudointellectual social-critic self. Hmm but looks can be deceiving. I am not totally out of navel-gazing mode, but I am (hopefully) in transition.

Anyway, I was idea-shopping on Google, and found an interesting (and not exactly 100% dry) article.

Here is a sample:


DISSONANCE THEORY

A theory that is similar to Heider's but focuses on somewhat different concerns is Leon Festinger's cognitive dissonance theory. It has a very simple central principle: "An individual strives to produce consonance and to avoid dissonance." We experience dissonance when we become aware that our actions contradict certain beliefs about ourselves. Consonance, as you might imagine, is the peaceful absence of dissonance, synonymous with Heider's "harmony."

If I consider myself an honest person, that belief implies that I don't lie. Yet I catch myself in the middle of a lie. This is dissonant. Or I know that I love my parents. This implies that I write them more than once per year. Yet once a year is exactly how often I write. This, too, is dissonant. Or I don't do things to harm myself. Cigarettes are bad for me. And I am at this moment dragging on a cigarette.

Dissonance, like imbalance, is "stressed to change." I might change my behavior, quit smoking, for example. I might change my belief that I don't do things to harm myself, which is at least honest. But the weakest link in this example is the connection between the two: the idea that cigarettes are bad for me. I have personally told myself such things as "it keeps the weight off," "the anxiety would kill me sooner," "the research had flaws," "cigarettes are just a scapegoat for industrial pollution," "they'll discover a cure soon," "I only smoke a few packs a day," and "it won't happen to me." One way or another, we tend to change our beliefs -- "fix" them -- in an effort to reduce the dissonance: We lie to ourselves.

Most of the research done on dissonance involves a matter of inadequate justification, that is, the reasons for doing something just weren't good enough: I lied to my friend. This is normally dissonant with my belief that I, as a good friend, do not lie -- unless I have "a real good reason" (i.e. an adequate justification), like saving his life, or maybe saving his feelings. Without such a "real good reason," there is inadequate justification.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/selfdefense.html


Yes there is a flow back to me. As in line with what I have been writing about lately, I need to work more on that "inadequate justification," part/thing.

It is a good article on the ideas of dissonance and ultimately on interpersonal games theory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites