Thursday, August 19, 2010

The US Constitution Protects Me From MONSTERS Like YOU!


Firstly, I am not calling anyone out (nor am I really the Me there. I will make that clearer, further on.)

Secondly, I could have done the title from another direction. But in watching a discussion on the NYC Islam Center issue (on Bloggingheads.com) from the pov of the legal question trumping all else? I was suddenly reminded of why there is a Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights protects me from you.

No matter who the me is or the you is, the Bill of Rights is there to prevent monstrous, discriminating bigots from using the government to strip people of their (some would say God Given, or Natural) rights as American Citizens.

My enjoyment of my constitutional rights is not dependent on anyone else's opinion.

My enjoyment of my constitutional rights is not dependent on the popularity of myself in the community, the region, or the whole nation.

My enjoyment of my constitutional rights is not dependent on whether other people approve of my ideas, my views on and/or spiritual/religious affiliations.

My enjoyment of my constitutional rights is not dependent on whether other people approve of my skin color, ethnic or national origin, gender, age or even where I live in America.

In short, the Bill of Rights is supposed to defend minority rights. It is supposed to defend the lawful unpopular from the tyranny of the mob.

How can adult Americans forget that?

That is a rhetorical question. There are just too damn many mean, selfish, ugly people out there. Again. That is why we have a Bill of Rights, and the 14th Amendment, and Civil Rights legislation. It's all there to protect Me from You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites