Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The Genius of Frank Herbert -- "God Emperor of Dune."

I have been rereading this fantastic book. Generally I say the reading Herbert is like taking an advanced course in political and social theory. The bit I am going to post here not only reminds me of the Teabaggers, but the GOP/Right Wing in general. Not an original observation by me (nor the first time I have said it myself), but there is so much overlap between the Old Tyme Religion of the Religious Right and their politics, that they can't tell where one ends and the other begins. It is like a seamless creature of ideology. And they like it that way.

Anyway, on to the example:



“Religion always leads to rhetorical despotism,” Leto said. “Before the Bene Gesserit, the Jesuits were the best at it…. You learn enough about rhetorical despotism from a study of the Bene Gesserit. Of course, they do not begin by deluding themselves with it…. It leads to self-fulfilling prophecy and justifications for all manner of obscenities.”

“This… rhetorical despotism, Lord?”

“Yes! It shields evil behind walls of self-righteousness which are proof against all arguments against the evil…. It feeds on deliberately twisted meanings to discredit opposition,” Leto said.


Some people don't get why I consider someone like Sarah Palin dangerous if not evil. The preceding seems to describe her to a "T." Seems to me.


Oh I almost forgot. Here is another sagacious observation from the book:

"Religion suppresses curiosity."


Ya. That's one of the reasons I am not a fan of religion.

1 Comments:

Blogger tullulah said...

Totally agree with you there.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites