Friday, March 12, 2010

Let's Skip Politics. A Quote From the Merry Gentry Series.




Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series is my favorite series of novels. I mean, yes, Steven King's Dark Tower is sweeping, epic, and brilliant storytelling, but I love me my Princess of Flesh and Blood. She is a princess of the Sidhe. And for those of you who don't know, they are like Tolkien's elves, but lusty. And I mean they are lusty in all ways; for skin, for sex, for power, for blood.


And in this updated telling of of the tale of the Keltoi gods and goddesses of old, we have all the fantastic creatures of old; not only the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, but the Goblins, and Phooka, and true Hell Hounds, Demi Fey, and the whole range of magical and or exotic creatures from the folklore of Tuath du Danu.

The following is a quote from a key scene in "Seduced By Moonlight," where a (usually) immortal goblin is about to die, paying a blood debt. The reason the goblin in question is going to actually die is not apparent yet, to all in the scene, but the reason for the blood debt being claimed is explained in the quote:


Siun pleaded,"My king, my king. Help me!"


"I offered you his sex and his flesh, Siun. I didn't tell you to maim him." Kurag stroked her furry back one last time, then stepped back. "If you can kill sidhe, do it, but don't fuck them up and leave them alive, because they never forget, and never forgive."



I should say that the sidhe in question, here is the former War God, Cromm Cruach, recently come back into his old powers.

Ok. There is something of a political message there, in the sense that a good social lesson about not fucking people up, and leaving them bitter, and resentful, and looking for the chance for payback, translates to politics, as well.
Add to Technorati Favorites